For most of us, Microsoft PowerPoint represents a part of our office lives, one of the most dreaded parts. However, PowerPoint presentations don’t have to be boring with all text and a few images. You can spruce up your PowerPoint presentation by including videos.
In this guide, will help you understand the benefits of video presentations, and how to insert video into PowerPoint step by step.
Table of Contents
- Why embed video into PowerPoint?
- How to embed a video from a file on Windows PC
- How to insert video into PowerPoint mac
- How to embed a YouTube video (or Vimeo) in Microsoft 365 for Mac or PowerPoint 2019 for Mac
- How to embed a YouTube Video (or Vimeo) in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
- How to change the thumbnail of a video in PowerPoint?
- Download Over 300 Free PowerPoint Templates
Why embed video into PowerPoint?
There are many benefits to adding video to PowerPoint presentations, helping to explain complex topics or processes, keeping your audience engaged, and more. Whether you’re selling an idea, product, or strategy, a video presentation always captures more attention from your audience.
For example, in a 2021 study, viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video compared to 10% when reading it in text. 96% of people have watched an explainer video to learn more about a product or service.
How to embed a video from a file on Windows PC
- Open the slide you want to add the video to, then go to Menu > Insert.
You can embed the video on any slide in your presentation.
- In the top right corner, click Video > Video on My PC.
- Find the video you want to add in file browser and click “Insert”
- Wait while the video is added to your presentation (the time depends on the file size, The larger the file, the longer the time)
- Adjust the settings in the Video Format and Playback toolbar. Use the “Format” options to further edit the size, position, colours, border, effects, height, width, etc. You also trim your video by useing the “Playback” options.
- Resize the video by dragging the corners. You can make the video different sizes by dragging the corners. You can click and drag the video to reposition it on the slide.
Windows PowerPoint supported formats
The video formats PowerPoint currently supports (Windows PC: Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 11):
How to insert video into PowerPoint mac
- Open up your presentation and go to the slide you wish to embed your video in
- Go to the Insert Table and Click Video, you will see 4 options: Movie Browser, Movie from File, Stock Videos, and Online Movie.
- Select the “Movie from File” option
- Browse and select the video you want to upload to your presentation and click “Insert.” Note that if you are inserting a large video file, it may take some time for the video to be visible on your PowerPoint presentation.
- Video is embedded in your PowerPoint presentation
PowerPoint for macOS supported formats
Here are the supported video file formats in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac, PowerPoint 2019 for Mac, and PowerPoint for Microsoft 365 for Mac:
How to embed a YouTube video (or Vimeo) in Microsoft 365 for Mac or PowerPoint 2019 for Mac
YouTube has become the world’s largest video site, and you can browse billions of video content. Sometimes you need to use YouTube videos in your PPT, this guide will help you embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint for Mac (same for Vimeo video).
- Click Insert>Video>Online Video or Online Movie, you will see a pop-up asking for a video URL or link on your screen
- Go to YouTube, and copy the YouTube video URL
- Back to PowerPoint, enter the URL of the online video, click Insert button
- Wait a few seconds and you will see the video you want
- Adjust video using the “Design Ideas” and the “Format’ and “Playback” menus
- Use Design Ideas to adjust video
How to embed a YouTube Video (or Vimeo) in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
PowerPoint 2016 for Mac itself doesn’t support inserting an online video, but you can use an add-in to let you insert a video from YouTube or Vimeo.
- In your presentation, open a new slide
- On the Insert menu, select Add-ins > Store
- In the Office Add-ins dialog box, search “web video player” and press Enter. You will find Web Video Player add-ins
- Add Web Video Player add-ins, a video frame is added to the slide
- Paste the address (URL) from the YouTube or Vimeo page of the video you want, and click Set Video, the video will showup, you can select the play button on the video to test it, or resize it by dragging the corners.
How to change the thumbnail of a video in PowerPoint?
If you want to change the thumbnail to an image you already have, you can do that:
- Click the video you want to change thumbnail, you will see the “Video Format” and “Playback” menu
- Click Poster Frame > Image from file
- Select an image from your computer, and click Insert button
Why does my PowerPoint for Mac not have online video option when I want to insert YouTube videos into PowerPoint Mac?
PowerPoint 2011 or 2016 for Mac doesn’t support inserting an online video, so you can’t find the Online video option in the Insert table. You can upgrade your PowerPoint for Mac to Microsoft 365 for Mac, Office 365 for Mac or PowerPoint 2019 for Mac.
Can I play a YouTube video in a PowerPoint without Internet?
No, you can’t play a YouTube video in a PowerPoint without the Internet. If you want play a YouTube video in a PowerPoint with out Internet, you need download the video to your PC.
Sponsored Link: https://voymedia.com/ecommerce-marketing-agency/